Every feature of this primer--from its ground-breaking methodology to its vibrant, streamlined design--has been years in the making.
Shalom Uvrachah--The New Hebrew Primer teaches decoding skills from key cultural words and concepts. Students learn the letters kuf and tzadee from the word tzedakah; they learn tet from tallit and zayin from mezuzah.
Shalom Uvrachah makes use of the best contemporary educational theory:
* Meaningful words teach decoding skills.
* Vowel sounds are systematically introduced in small, manageable increments.
* Confusing look-alike and sound-alike letters are introduced separately.
* Visual discrimination practice
* Similar letter-sound and vowel-sound drills
* Writing practice to reinforce the forms of the letters
* Exercises allowing teachers to customize reading practice for each class
* Checkpoints to monitor student progress
Teaching Hebrew writing has been simplified with custom-designed Hebrew print fonts, enhanced by arrows showing how to form each letter.
Shalom Uvrachah also features:
* Selected readings of key prayers and blessings, including Shema, Ve'ahavta, and Aleinu
* Heritage dictionary of 80 cultural words
* Explanation of special reading rules
* Text and activities together in one volume.
Paperback: 160 pages